Friday, August 22, 2008

Sorry for the delay...

No one in Central America could access this site for about 3 weeks...but alas, I´m back. Ok, this is what I really wanted to title this entry:

Department of Sanitation + Nicaragua = ???

No one really knows. This country is pretty filthy. I´m not sure if I´ve mentioned this before, but there´s no environmental education here beyond the PCVs. People throw SO much trash on the ground, but what´s worse is they literally burn all of the garbage from their house in their yards each and every night...

I´ve had this blog ready since 08-08-08, so it´s a little outdated, but here goes:

Here’s a couple of pics from swearing in:






After swearing in, a group of us stayed an extra night in Managua so we could hang out at a pool before starting our two year service term. Here’s a pic of the girls:

Things I miss:
My parents/family, friends, my bed, Jimmy John’s, good pizza, my closet, washing machine/dryer, wireless internet, air conditioning, cooking, a real bathroom, hot showers, TV in English, driving, strawberries, Chicago, Target, grocery shopping, Starbucks (even though I work with distributors here that sell directly to Starbucks...), Marshall’s/TJ Maxx, Lincoln Park Zoo, Hawaiian Ice, free nights and weekends, a salary, Wrigley Field, hot dogs, the beach, malls, trash cans, music.


Things I never thought I’d do:
Drink milk made from powder, get used to having bats in my bedroom, teach a class of 71 students, use bug spray every day…this category is difficult…

Anyway, things are going well here. I’m going to be a lot busier than originally thought; I guess it’s both a blessing and a curse. It’ll be good for me because I won’t have a ton of down-time to second-guess myself, but I’m going to be constantly worn out. I’m excited to get started on my projects, but I really need to keep working on my Spanish.
Screw hair straighteners - this is how we do it in Ocotal (or the OC, as I like to say...):
This is a pic of my new sister and me at Sky Dancing:


This place is so strange to me…it’s a club, but it has the weirdest mix of people…including some of my students – I probably wasn’t wearing the best outfit to run into a 15 year-old male student, eh? In my defense, everyone is supposed to be at least of the legal drinking age (18) to get in.


Ok, miss you all! More updates soon!

No comments: